by Noreen Doll.
Create an easy spooky vampire bat napkin ring for your Halloween party!
Kids can help with this project as it involves simple tracing and cutting.
Black felt, card stock, or craft foam can be used for this quick project.
You can make a face on them or leave them plain. I think the face would be preferred for kids, but I like it better plain.
An orange napkin is perfect to set off a vampire bat napkin ring!
What You Need
Black Felt, Card Stock, or Craft Foam
A Piece of Paper to Make the Bat Shape
Cereal Box for Cardboard Pattern
What You Do
1. Fold a sheet of paper in half to size 8.5 by 6.5 inches.
2. Using the fold, draw half a bat. It needs long wings for this project.
Leave the paper folded to cut out the bat, (don’t cut the fold!) and you will end up with a whole bat.
3. Trace the bat onto cereal box or other sturdy cardboard, as you will be drawing around it several times. Cut out.
4. Trace around the cardboard bat onto card stock, felt, or craft foam. Cut out.
5. Roll up a napkin and test the bat around it to see where slits are needed.
Notice in the photo that one slit is cut halfway down from the top, and the other slit is cut halfway up from the bottom. This allows them to interlock.
6. If card stock is used, you may want to put a small piece of tape just below the end of the slits to keep them from tearing through. You can put the tape on the side that won’t show.
7. This is the felt bat with a face. The features could be made smaller.
8. This is the felt bat with no face.
9. This is the card stock vampire bat napkin ring.
10. Interlock the bat wings behind the napkin as shown.
11. The wings should completely interlock for a smooth look
The vampire bat napkin ring can be stored flat from year to year.
You could make a smaller version to use for finger puppets for preschoolers.
I sometimes use chalk to trace a shape onto black or very dark felt or craft foam. Cut inside the chalk line, as it may be difficult to remove.
A paper pattern could be pinned onto the felt to cut out the bat shape.