By Noreen Doll.
Heart soda can lights can be used for many festive occasions.
It’s a fun way to recycle your soda cans while creating colorful decorations.
They can be used for Valentine’s Day, weddings, anniversaries, and even a prom.
Simply change the color of the soda can you are using to get the color and effect you want.
You can use the inside of the can to make silver hearts, or use a silver soda can. These would be lovely for a wedding or silver wedding celebration.
Gold soda cans would make hearts perfect for a golden wedding anniversary.
Or you can use alcohol inks to color the inside of the cans any color you like.
Here’s how to make these easy heart soda can lights.
String of small, clear lights.
Soda Cans, empty and clean
Paper for Pattern
Cardboard for Pattern
Pen or Pencil
How to Make Heart Soda Can Lights.
Caution: Be sure to use care while working with the aluminum, as it can have sharp edges.
1. Find or make a heart pattern.
This heart is about 2 inches wide by 1 3/4 inches high.
2. Trace it on to cereal box cardboard. Cut it out.
3. Trace the heart pattern on to the red soda cans. You can get several on one can.
How to make a soda can into a flat sheet.
4. Cut out the hearts.
To cut into the dip at the top of the heart, cut in to the point from one side
and then cut into it from the other side.
This helps to keep the metal from tearing while you cut.
5. Use a marker to roll the edges of the heart toward the front, so it will cup slightly around the light.
6. Punch a hole in the center of the heart.
Use the punch to slightly enlarge the hole around the edges. Don’t make the hole too big as you want it to fit snugly around the lights.
7. Slide the heart over the light, making sure you have it around the base of the socket and not the bulb itself.
You can use an ordinary paper punch and regular scissors for this project.
In fact cutting and punching the aluminum should sharpen your tools.
You can also make Shamrock Soda Can Lights