By Noreen Doll.
Create colorful star soda can lights for many occasions.
They’re perfect for patriotic occasions such as Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day.
You could also use them for Christmas, birthdays, or graduation in school colors.
Save your soda cans to recycle into this fun project!
String of small, clear lights.
Red, White and Blue Soda Cans (or cans in your choice of color)
Paper for Pattern
Cardboard for Pattern
Pencil or Pen
How to Make Star Soda Can Lights.
Caution: Use care when working with soda cans as their cut edges can be sharp.
1. Print or make a star pattern.
The star I used is about 2 inches wide by 2 inches high.
Trace the star onto cracker box cardboard. Cut it out.
2. Flatten the soda cans you will be using.
3. Trace the stars onto soda cans. 4 or 5 stars should fit on a can.
Cut them out.
4. With a marker, roll the star points toward the center front to allow the star to curve slightly around the light.
5. Punch a hole in the center of a star.
Punch a little more around the edge of the hole to allow it to fit over a light.
Don’t make the hole too large, as you want it to fit snuggly.
6. Slide the star over a light, making sure it sits on the light socket, and not on the bulb.
You don’t need special tools, ordinary scissors and a paper punch will be fine.
You can also make Heart Soda Can Lights,