By Noreen Doll.
Peek a boo ghosts are fun for older kids to make and younger kids to play with.
They would be great Halloween party favors for kids.
Use craft foam or card stock to make them. I made the ghost from a milk jug.
See the templates as a guide to creating the parts.
The ghosts can be made larger or smaller than these shown.
Paper for Pattern
Craft Foam or Card Stock – Orange, White, Brown
3/4 inch long Brad
Wiggly Eyes, optional
How to Make a Peek A Boo Ghost.
1. Make the paper patterns. Be sure the ghost is enough smaller than the pumpkin that it doesn’t show when the pumpkin is closed.
The pumpkin should be an inch to an inch and a half wider than the ghost at the widest part of the ghost, to allow for overlap in the center.
2. Trace the pattern pieces onto the craft materials. A milk jug worked very well for the ghost.
Cut them out. The red line shows that the pumpkin will be completely cut apart down the center.
Cut outside the black line of the ghost to allow it to stand out more.
3. Draw a face on the ghost.
4. Make faint curved lines down each side of the pumpkin. (I used a pencil.)
5. Punch a hole in about the center at the bottom of the ghost. (See above photo.)
6. Lay the pumpkin halves over the ghost and mark where a matching hole should go in each of them. Punch the holes.
7. Put glue on HALF of the stem where it will be behind the pumpkin. Attach the stem to one side of the pumpkin, allowing room for the other side to tuck in.
8. Put the brad through the hole in the right side of the pumpkin, then the left side, and then through the ghost.
Don’t close the brad too tightly as the pumpkin sides need to be able to open and shut.
9. Close the sides of the pumpkin over the ghost until it is hidden.
The peek a boo ghost is ready to delight a child!
Very young children need to be supervised when using anything with small parts.
If card stock is used it would be a good idea to glue an extra small square or circle of it on the back side where the hole is, to keep the hole from tearing out immediately.