By Noreen Doll.
Christmas is a special and exciting time for kids, and sometimes they can get over excited.
By planning activities for them to do each day, it gives them focus and helps them also to think of others.
Here are some ideas for things kids can do while waiting for Christmas to arrive.
- On Dec. 1st, make a garland of rings to count down to Christmas.
- Sleep under / near the Christmas tree.
- Create a Christmas game, or make a Christmas version of a game such as Tic Tac Toe, Dominoes, or Bingo.
- Read some Christmas stories
- Go Christmas caroling or sing Christmas songs.
- Watch a holiday movie.
- Make Christmas cookies.
- Have a snowball fight and build a snowman.
- Go sledding or ice skating.
- Make some Christmas presents.
- Stamp butcher paper or brown craft paper with Christmas designs for wrapping presents.
- Wrap Christmas presents.
- Make more Christmas cookies.
- Make a Christmas tree ornament.
- Write a letter to Santa.
- Go pick out your Christmas tree.
- Decorate your Christmas tree.
- Attend a Christmas concert or play.
- Make a Nativity scene.
- Set Up the Nativity.
- Go for a drive to see Christmas lights.
- Do a special good deed for someone in your family
- Spend an evening sharing Christmas memories while drinking hot chocolate.
- Visit Santa.
- Punch holes in the Christmas cards you receive and use binder rings to make them into a book.
- Get 1 or 2 new Christmas coloring books and color together.
- Buy or make a new family game and open it a day or two before Christmas.
- Write a Christmas letter to Grandma and Grandpa or other relatives who don’t live nearby.
- Make a gift together for each child’s teacher.
- Make a Christmas craft.
- Have a pizza party.
- Eat at a place special to your child.
- Make gingerbread houses using graham crackers for the walls and roof.
- Have an indoor picnic.
- Make red and white play dough, and create candy canes, Santas, snowmen, and more.
- Make paper snowflakes.
- Make some Christmas cards for family or friends.
- Play Christmas music and dance.
- Thread beads and jingle bells on pipe cleaners for bracelets or to shake.
- Choose 4 or 5 of your child’s small toys and take turns hiding them and hunting for them.
- Make place cards for the Christmas table.
- Make Photo Ornaments
- Candy Cane Hunt – Hide small plastic candy canes to search for.
- Work a Jigsaw Puzzle.
- Make Pipe Cleaner Candy Canes – twist 2 together and make a crook at the top. Tie a ribbon around it.
- Make Christmas shrinkys (Shrink Plastic) for ornaments, jewelry, or package tie-ons.
Create wonderful holiday memories and traditions for your kids!