Make an easy recipe / photo holder with a tile, a sticker, and Mod Podge.
Wouldn’t this be a cute gift for kids to make for Mom or Grandma, to give with their photo attached?
This holder could also be used for messages, notes, or small art works done by your kids.
Instead of a sticker for the front, you could cut out a small picture.
The 2 inch square ceramic tiles come on a sheet of 36 tiles. I chose a sheet that had some broken ones because I was using them singly.
I asked for, and received, a good discount because they could not sell broken ones.
2 inch Square Tile
Small Sticker or Picture
2 inch Long Spring Type Clothespin
Instructions for the Recipe / Photo Holder
1. Cut the tiles apart and cut the glue away from the sides of the tiles.
Wipe the tile with a damp cloth to remove dust or dirt.
2. Select the sticker or photo you want to put on the tile.
3. Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the tile.
Immediately add the sticker or picture.
You have a few seconds to move the sticker around to center it. Smooth your finger around the edges to be sure they are all flat and stuck to the tile.
4. Gently apply a layer of Mod Podge over the sticker and the entire top of the tile.
5. Let dry. Use a hair dryer set on low to speed drying.
Keep moving the dryer around and don’t hold it in one place.
Let it finish drying for 15 or 20 minutes.
6. Add one more layer of Mod Podge, brushing in the opposite direction. Let dry.
7. After it is completely dry, turn it over and sign and date the tile on the back with a Sharpie or other permanent ink pen.
(I forgot to take the photo when I signed it before adding the clothespin – so took the picture after the clothespin was added.)
8. Using E6000 or a glue of your choice, attach the clothespin to the center of the back – with the opening end up.
The bottom of the clothespin should be about 1/4 of an inch or so up from the bottom of the tile to allow the tile to lean back slightly when it is used.
Allow the glue to dry.
Set the recipe / photo tile up and add a photo, note, or recipe to the top of the clothespin.
Also make decoupage tile coasters with the same method.