by Noreen Doll.
This paper plate vampire bat is super easy to create, and bats are always a fun craft to make for Halloween.
Each of these fun bats only requires 2 paper plates, and you can make them large or small, according to the size of your paper plates.
I spray painted my bats black because I used white paper plates to make them, and I do like the way the color turned out.
I did have black plastic plates, but found they were too deep to work well for this craft.
Your plates need to be as flat as possible for these bats to turn out well.
What you need
2 Paper Plates – the same size
Red and White Craft Foam
Black Spray Paint
Double Sided Tape or Glue
How to Make Paper Plate Vampire Bats.
1. Draw a very simple pattern for the bat body on one plate using this diagram.
2. On another plate, draw 2 simple wings. Be sure to use half or less of the plate for each wing so they’ll both fit on the plate.
To make them the same size, you can draw one and then cut it out and use it for the pattern for the second wing.
3. Cut out the body and wings.
4. Take them outside and spray paint them black. I used 2 coats for better coverage, allowing about 15 minutes drying time between coats.
5. Cut out the features using craft foam, card stock, or self adhesive felt.
I used white and red so they would show up against the black of the bat.
From white craft foam, cut 2 long white triangles for the fangs, 2 thin strips for the eyebrows, and 2 fat oval shapes for the eyes.
Punch 2 black circles from card stock for the pupils.
Cut a thin red mouth strip and a blood droplet from red foam.
Use a red Sharpie to add a bit of blood to the tip of one or both fangs.
6. Move the features around on the bat till you find an arrangement you like – then glue or tape them down.
7. Punch a small hole near the end of each wing, and one on each side of the bat body, for attaching the wings.
8. Use a one inch or longer brad to attach each wing.
9. Use a Sharpie to color the top of the brad black if you don’t have black brads.
Now your paper plate vampire bat can move his wings and fly!
A new friend!
You can punch a hole in the top of the paper plate vampire bat and add a black ribbon for hanging, if you like.