by Noreen Doll.
A paper plate pop up snowman is a fun winter craft for kids to make.
It’s quick and easy, and the materials are cheap.
After the snowman is cut in a paper plate, and colored, kids can have fun decorating it in their own unique way.
What You Need
Crayons, Markers, or Paint
Paper or Craft Foam Stickers
Sticky Back Felt or Craft Foam for Details
Other Optional Embellishments: buttons, fabric, twigs, colored paper
What You Do
!. With the paper plate right side up, fold the bottom edge toward the top edge so the plate is folded in half.
2. On one half of the plate (on the bottom side) mark the center at the top and fold line. Draw a snowman using the center mark as the center of the snowman.
3. Cut around the snowman on the solid black line, to the fold, leaving the fold uncut.
4. Turn the plate right side up and color the uncut half blue.
5. Turn the plate back over and decorate the paper plate pop up snowman on the bottom side of the plate.
Small twigs are fun to use for arms and broom handles.
Cut the hat and brush part of the broom out of craft foam, card stock, or construction paper.
Make a scarf or mittens.
6. With the plate right side up, fold the snowman toward the colored side of the plate.
7. Fold the cut pieces of the plate on either side of the snowman, down and toward the back.
Use your paper plate pop up snowman as a centerpiece.
Or make it a fun party activity for a class party or birthday party.
8. The small wrapped gift box is made from a Christmas card using this gift box packaging tutorial.
I made it a one inch cube – the top is one inch square, and all the sides are 1 inch square. The box bottom is just slightly smaller to allow the top to slide on it easily.
For small children, you can precut hats, scarves, brooms, etc. so they just have to glue them on.
Mittens don’t have to be tiny. Big floppy ones would be cute.
A scarf can be made from fleece, craft foam, or colorful wrapping paper.
Using real buttons for the Snowman’s front is fun.