By Noreen Doll.
Gift box packaging is easy when it requires only one greeting card to create it!
The front of the card becomes the lid, and the back of the card becomes the box bottom.
This small handy gift box can be used to hold small gifts, a gift card, or money that is rolled or folded to fit.
Using a large card to make a lidded box works best unless you want a really small box.
You can use double sided tape to attach the ends, or do as I do and put a bit of glue on each of the flaps and glue the ends. This is a more permanent way to do it, and will allow you to reuse the box many times.
These boxes came from the same size card. On one I made the sides 1 inch deep, and on the other the sides are 1/2 inch deep. Notice that the 1 inch deep box has smaller dimensions.
What You Need
1 Greeting card or Christmas card
White Elmers Glue or Double Sided Tape
Clothespins (to hold flaps while glue dries)
What You Do
1. Cut the card in half along the fold.
2. Using a ruler on the card front, measure in 1 inch from each edge and score.
3. Fold on all the score lines toward the plain side of the card. Cut on the red cut lines.
4. Measure and score the back of the card for the box bottom, measuring in 1 and 1/16 inches from each edge. This will make the bottom slightly smaller than the top so the lid will slide on easily. (See photo above.)
4. Put a drop of glue on one of the flaps and fold the edge up as shown. Use clothespins to hold the flaps while the glue dries. Repeat with the other flaps.
5. Glue the flaps on the other end of the box top. When the glue is dry the box is ready to be used.
You don’t have to use 1 inch or 1/2 inch for the sides of your box – you can make them any depth you like.
Use this easy gift box packaging idea for making a larger box using large pieces of regular cardboard or card stock.
© Noreen Doll