By Noreen Doll.
This origami basket is actually like one half of an origami box with a lid. And you can make it in almost any size you want.
Do a few simple folds, a couple of snips with scissors and add a handle.
An origami basket would be perfect to make for a kid’s party where you need to make a lot of them for favors.
What You Need
1 Square Sheet of Paper
Straight Edge or Ruler
What You Do
Decide what size your origami basket needs to be, and multiply that number by 3.
I wanted a 4 inch basket, so I needed a 12 inch square of paper. The designer paper sheets are perfect for this size basket.
You need to have a square piece of paper to fold this basket.
1. Use a straight edge diagonally between two corners and mark the center of the paper.
Use the straight edge again between the opposite 2 diagonal corners and mark the center so you have an X in the very middle of the square.
2. Position the paper so one corner is pointing to you. Fold this point up to the center of the paper so it touches exactly the middle of the X. Crease the fold.
3. Turn the paper, putting the point of each corner at the center of the X and crease each fold, so the paper looks like this – with the 4th point also folded up.
4. Now rotate the folded paper so one edge is toward you. Fold this edge up until the top of it meets the center of the square. Crease the fold.
Turn the square and fold each side up to the center and crease each fold. The square should then look like this.
5. Make cuts in the folds on one side. Then make cuts in the two folds on the opposite side as shown in red in the template.
Cut only to the first fold line – do not cut the middle.
When you’ve made all the cuts, your paper should look like this.
6. Grab the point between the two cut folds and pull it out until it is unfolded.
Fold the two side squares in until their edges meet.
Fold the point part over the two squares and into the basket. Tuck the crease into the edge fold and the point will be in the center.
Repeat on the other side of the box.
7. You may need a bit of glue from a glue stick to help hold these two points in place.
8. Cut a coordinating strip of paper 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide by 12 inches long for the handle.
To make the handle sturdier, you could double the width and fold it in half. Run a glue stick down the length inside the fold to help it stay shut.
9. Punch a tiny hole in about the center of two opposite sides of the box.
Punch a tiny hole in both ends of the handle – about 1 inch from the end.
10. Use a brad to attach the handle. Push the brad through the hole in the origami basket side and then through the hole in the handle, so the handle will be on the inside of the basket.
Here’s what your finished origami basket will look like.
© Noreen Doll