by Noreen Doll.
Make an easy milk jug jack-o-lantern. It’s a great way to recycle an empty milk jug!
This craft is so easy your kids can do it with a little help from you.
You can either cut the facial features, or draw them on with a Sharpie.
You will need to help with the cutting. It is sometimes easier to cut the jug if you start a slit with a knife and then use utility scissors to finish cutting.
What You Need
Empty Milk Jug
Green Construction or Tissue Paper
What You Do
1. Wash and dry an empty milk jug.
2. If you are going to use a tea light in the jug, cut a hole in the bottom -near the back corner – large enough to fit the tea light in.
3. Turn the jug so the handle is in back. Draw features on the front and cut them out. Draw several faces on a sheet of paper till you find one you want to use.
Or if you prefer, you can put the face on one side of the jug. I do it on the corner so the handle will be in back.
4. Paint the milk jug orange.
5. You can just draw the features on with a Sharpie and use them that way.
6. If you are cutting the features out, outline the cut areas with a black Sharpie so they’ll show up better.
7. Cut a sheet of green construction paper about 6 inches x 9 inches. Fold it in half and twist it until it will fit snugly inside the top of the jug for a stem.
8. Layer the bottom of the jug with a little gravel or sand, so it won’t tip or blow over.
9. Put a battery operated tea light inside.
When you draw the face with a Sharpie – before you paint it, you can use alcohol to wipe off mistakes and redo the features. If you do use alcohol, remember to wipe the alcohol off with water and dry it before using the Sharpie again.
If you try to remove the Sharpie ink on the painted surface, you will also remove the paint.