By Noreen Doll.
Create an easy Jack O Lantern finger puppet that is quick to make and fun to use.
This is great for young kids to play with as it is very durable.
Craft Foam – Orange, Green and Black
Scrap Paper to make a pattern
How to Make a Jack O Lantern Finger Puppet.
1. Draw a pumpkin shape on scrap paper. Make it large enough that you can cut 2 holes in the bottom big enough to fit fingers through.
Cut the holes in the paper pattern and check to make sure fingers fit.
2. Draw around the pumpkin on the orange craft foam. Draw the 2 finger holes.
Cut the pumpkin out. The edges look better if you hold the scissors straight up and down and don’t slant them.
3. Cut the holes out.
An easy way to start the holes is to fold the hole and cut a small slit in the center, that doesn’t go past the edges of the hole.
Put the scissors tip in the slit and cut out the hole.
4. Make a pattern for the stem on scrap paper. Make the large part of the stem an inch or so longer than you want it to be.
Cut the stem out. The extra inch will be where you put glue to attach it to the back of the pumpkin.
Trace the stem on the green craft foam and cut it out.
5. Make a pattern for the eyes, or just draw them on the black craft foam. The eyes can be any shape.
Cut the eyes out.
6. Put glue on the lower part of the green stem and attach it to the back of the pumpkin.
7. Glue the eyes on the front of the pumpkin. Keep them fairly close together.
8. Use the Sharpie to draw a mouth.
The mouth could be cut out of black foam instead of being drawn on.
Wiggly eyes can be used instead of black foam. Or the eyes can be added with a marker.
The Jack O Lantern finger puppet could be made from paper, a foam tray that has been washed and painted orange, or a milk jug that can be painted.
If you will be making lots of finger puppets, or several kids will be making them, make the templates from a milk jug so they will be more durable.
Use the pumpkin for Thanksgiving fun.
© Noreen Doll