By Noreen Doll.
A beauty shop busy board is perfect for every little girl who loves to play with hair and use pretend make-up.
My daughter and I collaborated on this project and we kept coming up with fun ways to use it.
This busy board is made from a recycled milk jug. Add shoe laces and dry erase pens, and this will keep a young miss happily occupied.
Because the beauty shop busy board is made from sturdy plastic, it can take quite a bit of play.
And if it wears out, it’s very easy to make another one.
Recycled Clean Milk Jug
Dry Erase Pens
Punch with a long reach
Scissors or Knife
How to Make a Beauty Shop Busy Board.
1. Find the side of the milk jug with an indented circle.
Some milk jugs don’t have this circle. In this case, you can just draw a circle for the face.
Outline the largest flat area around the circle that you can. I did keep a little of the curved edges to allow a larger board.
2. Use a knife to get started, and then with knife or scissors cut around where you have marked.
I like to cut an extra area outside the marked line to remove the panel from the milk jug. Then I use scissors to finish cutting smoothly where I’ve marked.
3. With the dry erase pens, draw a face on the indented circle with the rounded side on top, to guide how you want to punch the holes for the hair.
4. Use a Sharpie to make one row of dots around close to the head and down the sides where the holes will be punched.
Try not to have the holes too close together.
5. Punch the holes on the dots. I used a Crop-a-dile punch because a regular punch doesn’t reach as far as I needed.
6. Make a second row of dots about 1/2 inch out from the first row.
Punch these holes.
The beauty shop busy board is finished.
Add 3 or 4 colorful shoe laces (pink or purple would be favorites) and dry erase markers.
You will need at least 3 laces to braid the hair. I threaded 2 laces through one set of holes.
Hair accessories could be barrettes, pony tail elastics, and ribbons. Check the Dollar Store for great finds.
Pipe cleaners would make interesting flexible hair-dos or could be twisted into play jewelry.
Be sure to turn the sharp ends of the pipe cleaners into tiny loops and pinch flat with pliers to prevent scratching.
Make pipe cleaner curls like this.
And add the curls like this.
For the markers you will need at least red, black, and blue or green for eyes. Having pink or purple for cheeks and lipstick would definitely enhance the play value!
For extra fun little girls can draw hats above the hair, or add earring and necklaces and other jewelry.
You could actually poke tiny holes where the ear lobes would be to hang real earrings.
The face can be drawn on with the dry erase markers, then removed, and drawn again.
Make silly faces, sad faces, happy faces, surprised faces.
Create a beauty shop busy board set as a gift for a little girl.
© Noreen Doll