By Noreen Doll.
Make a festive Pot of Gold Shamrock Bouquet to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
I used a recycled can, but you could use a flower pot or small glass jar instead.
I used Rolos candies for the gold because we have a nut allergy in the family, but you can use any gold wrapped candy.
9 Inch Square of Black Felt
Green Craft Foam – I used 2 different shades of green.
Green Sparkle Shamrock Stickers
Ribbon – green and gold
Scrap Styrofoam – a black styrofoam tray that vegetables came in.
How to Make a Pot of Gold Shamrock Bouquet.
1. Use a clean empty can. Draw around the bottom of the can on the styrofoam.
2. Put the styrofoam circles in the can.
4. Set the can in the center of the felt and bring the felt up around the sides of the can.
Press the felt into the tape.
5. Tie a gold ribbon around the felt and the can.
Tuck the top edge of the felt into the can.
Make the Shamrock Flowers.
1. Cut the skewers into 2 or 3 pieces, making them different lengths so they will be varying heights in the can.
2. Make a shamrock pattern, or use a shamrock you already have for a pattern.
Trace the pattern onto the craft foam, making 3 to 5 shamrocks in 2 or more shades of green.
Cut them out.
3. Put double sided tape on the bottom of a Rolo and press it firmly in the center of one of the shamrocks.
4. On the back of the shamrock, place the end of a skewer piece.
Use duct tape to attach the skewer to the craft foam shamrock.
5. If you are using shamrock stickers, remove the backing from two of the stickers and stick them back to back, sandwiching the end of a skewer between them.
Use buttons or smaller shamrocks to decorate some of the shamrock flowers.
6. Tie bows on one or more of the skewers, just below the shamrock flower.
7. Arrange the shamrock flowers in the can, pressing them down into the styrofoam.
8. Add Rolos around the base of the skewers in the can until it’s full.
Instead of wrapping the can with felt, it could be painted black… or gold.
Or wrap the can in black paper.
Hot glue can be used to secure the felt to the can instead of double sided tape.
I used a button in the center of one of the shamrocks to give it a different look.
Here’s a link to an easy way to make a shamrock pattern, in case you want to make your own.