by Noreen Doll.
Even kids can make a patriotic fan from a deck of cards.
It’s a great 4th of July or Memorial Day favor and will help your guests stay cooler on a hot summer day. It even folds compactly to fit in a pocket or purse.
You can make several fans from one deck of cards, and it’s a good way to use an old deck of cards, or a deck with a card or two missing.
I bought a double deck of cards at the Dollar Store for $1.00, and it included one blue deck and one red deck – perfect for a patriotic fan craft.
What You Need
5 Cards from a Poker or Bridge Deck
Small Brad with a Star Shaped Head, or other
Ice Pick or Paper Punch
What You Do
1. Select the cards you want to use. I chose 3 red and 2 blue for one fan and 3 blue plus 2 red for another fan.
2. To punch a hole in the cards for the brad, I used an ice pick – with an eraser underneath.
3. Punch a hole in the corner of one card. Use that card as a guide to punch a hole in each of the other cards in the same spot.
4. Arrange the cards how you want them to look.
5. Push a brad through each of the cards and open on the back of the patriotic fan.
Fold the fans to give as favors.
You can use 2 or 3 cards more for your fan if you like.
You could also make the fans all red or all blue.
If you use a paper punch to make the holes, be sure to use a small punch so the head of the brad doesn’t pull through.