By Noreen Doll.
This is a fun and easy no glue heart chain that kids can make.
All it requires is a little paper folding and cutting.
This heart chain can be made in all one color, or the hearts can be a variety of colors.
And you can vary the size of the heart by making the rectangle larger or smaller.
Cardboard for Template (Optional)
How to Make a No Glue Heart Chain.
1. To make a pattern, cut a sheet of 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch paper in half.
Then cut each half in half again.
2. Fold one rectangle in half vertically.
Fold it in half again horizontally.
3. Hold the folded paper so there is a single fold on the left of the paper and 2 folds at the bottom.
The top and right side of the folded paper should be 4 open edges.
4. Draw the heart next to the single fold, making sure to include a little bit of the bottom folded edge.
The bottom edge of the heart will not come to a point, but be about half an inch wide.
5. Draw another heart shape inside the first heart as shown.
6. Cut out the hearts.
7. Unfold the paper.
8. Make lots more hearts.
How to Interlock the Hearts.
1. Open up 1 heart. (pink)
2. Gently thread half the heart through the center of a 2nd heart. (blue)
Close the 1st heart. (pink)
3. Open a 3rd heart. (white)
Gently thread half of it through the pink heart (the one at the top)
Close the 3rd heart. (white, or light blue on the outside)
Add a 4th heart through the 3rd heart. (Light blue)
Add each new heart through the top heart until the chain is as long as you like.
You can cut a 12 inch by 12 inch piece of scrapbooking paper into fourths instead of using an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet.
Paper squares will make fatter hearts while rectangles will make narrower taller ones.
You can make a template by tracing a folded heart onto a piece of cardboard, and using it to trace all the hearts.
But if you don’t mind irregularities in the hearts you can cut them without a pattern.
Just make sure the single fold is always on the left and the two folds are at the bottom.