By Noreen Doll.
If you’re looking for great gift box patterns, try this unique triangle shaped box made with a greeting card. You can either recycle an old card or use a new one.
The triangle box is so quick and easy you can make several in half an hour. Even better, you can teach your kids to make them, too.
One thing I discovered when making a triangle box is that it really doesn’t work to make one with a square. This box was made with a 12 inch x 12 inch square of designer paper.
After you’ve made all the folds, you have a huge gap in the top so that you can’t close it completely.
So you really want your card as rectangular as possible. I actually cut a little off each side of the card to make the opened card less square and more rectangular.
A card with a picture that looks good in any direction, or a card with a horizontal picture looks best when finished.
What You Need
Ribbon, Yarn, or Twine (to tie the top shut)
What You Do
!. Open card to be sure it is more rectangular than square. If not, cut off half an inch or more on the sides, being sure not to spoil the design on the front.
2. Use the crease as the center of each side. Mark the center on top and bottom edges.
3. Using a straight edge, score from center side to center top on each side. Then score from center side to center bottom on each side.
4. Crease each score line, and then fold the triangle box on its original center crease line bringing all the corners together at the top.
5. Punch holes as shown. Close the box entirely and punch through 2 or 4 thicknesses at once, making sure all the holes line up.
6. Thread yarn, ribbon, or twine through all the holes, pulling all the edges snuggly together, and tie in a bow.
The ribbon or twine will pull the edges together and close the gap when you tie it.
If you have trouble threading the yarn or twine through the holes, try putting some glue on one end and twisting tightly, to stiffen it. Let dry for a few minutes or use a blow dryer to quickly dry it.
Larger cards work better for triangle gift box patterns, as they are not really roomy at one end.
Greeting cards for men make perfect gift boxes for men.
© Noreen Doll