By Noreen Doll.
Craft a creepy crawly pumpkin topiary to decorate your Halloween table.
I try not to use expensive items for crafting because I know lots of people couldn’t afford to make crafts if it required purchasing expensive supplies. And I like to recycle as much as possible.
So head to your recycle bin for most of your supplies and finish up at the Dollar Store to make this fun creepy crawly pumpkin topiary.
What You Need
Wood Dowel – 1/4 inch diameter, 10 to 12 inches long
Plaster of Paris or cement, if you have it
Orange Spray Paint or Acrylic Paint
Package of Spiders or Spider Rings from Dollar Store
Ribbon for Bow
What You Do
1. Push the styrofoam ball firmly down onto one end of the dowel to make a hole in the ball so it can sit on the dowel.
2. Add water and Plaster or Paris (following box directions) to the can to make a depth of 2 or 3 inches.
Warning! Always use Plaster of Paris outdoors to prevent it getting in your drains and clogging them. Use a garden hose to clean items.
3. Mix quickly and put the dowel in the center of the mix. Hold it for a couple of minutes to be sure it will stand straight. Let Harden.
4. Cut 2 or 2 1/2 inch squares from the newspaper.
5. Spread glue on a small area of the styrofoam ball.
6.Scrunch the squares around your finger and stick them in the glue, keeping them fairly close together.
7. Add more glue as needed and cover the ball completely, except for a small area around the hole you made. Let dry.
8. Spray the ball with orange paint. Let dry. Ignore that little spider that crept up on the ball.
Because I didn’t have any orange spray paint, i mixed red and yellow tempera paint with a little water, in a small spray bottle.
Shake it well and do a test spray before spraying your newspaper covered ball.
9. With black spray paint, paint the dowel and can – inside and out. Use a second coat to get good coverage. Let dry.
10. Put a bit of glue in the dowel hole and press the orange ball on top.
11. Use hot glue to attach spiders all over the ball.
12. Tie a Halloween colored bow around the can and glue a spider in the center of the bow.
Your creepy crawly pumpkin topiary is complete!
Use flies or ants instead of spiders to cover your pumpkin.
If you don’t want to paint the topiary ball, cut the squares from orange fabric, orange crepe paper, or orange tissue paper and glue them on.
© Noreen Doll