By Noreen Doll.
If you like cabbage rolls, but not the fuss of preparing them, try this simple, thick and filling soup.
Add some chips or bread, and it makes a hearty meal.
1 Pound Hamburger ( I use 90% lean)
1 or 2 Onions, diced (I use 2 – we love onions!)
2 Cloves Garlic, diced
1/2 of a Small Head of Cabbage, sliced
1 – 29 Ounce Can of Crushed Tomatoes
2 Cups Cooked Rice
Salt and Pepper to Taste
How to Make Cabbage Roll Soup.
1. Brown the hamburger and break it up into small pieces.
2. Add the diced onion, garlic, and sliced cabbage to the hamburger and continue cooking until vegetables are limp.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes. Add 1 1/2 cans of water and mix well. (Add more water if you like a thinner soup.)
4. Add 2 cups cooked rice. We make large batches of rice and freeze it in 2 cup packages, so we always have some ready for recipes.
5. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.
6. Simmer for at least an hour to allow flavors to meld and soup to thicken.