By Noreen Doll.
Recycle a plastic jug to make a spooky ghost pencil topper.
This cute Halloween idea would make a great classroom project.
They are so quick and easy to make, they could also be fun treat bag hand outs, as you can make a lot of them from just 1 milk jug.
Other materials that could be used to create a ghost pencil topper are craft foam, felt, or card stock.
Milk Jug or other white craft material
How to Make a Spooky Ghost Pencil Topper.
1. To make a pattern, draw a small ghost on a piece of paper. Mine is about 3 1/2 inches high by 2 inches at the widest part.
Cut it out, punch 2 holes and test it on a pencil to see if it’s how you want it.
I enlarged the hole a little by punching again slightly overlapping the original hole, until it was large enough to slide the pencil through.
2. Use the paper ghost as a pattern and trace it onto a milk jug. You can get many ghosts from 1 milk jug.
3. Cut it out. Cut around the outside of the black lines, so the black will accentuate the ghostly shape.
4. Punch the 2 holes, testing for pencil fit.
5. Draw eyes.
6. Insert a pencil and the spooky ghost pencil topper is ready to be used.
If the black edge around the ghost is too narrow, you can draw around it again with the marker to widen it.
You might need to sharpen your punch after punching plastic with it.