By Noreen Doll.
This small gift box could also be a favor box and you can make it in many sizes.
Put your gift or favor in the center of the tissue paper and place it in the box for a lovely presentation.
You can use it for any holiday or occasion simply by changing the color of the decorative paper on it.
Think of using it at Easter with a handle, or for Mother’s Day, a wedding, a baby or wedding shower, a tea party, Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Halloween.
Just add candies and/or nuts or small favors.
Or use it to present a gift.
Cardboard, Cereal Box, or Card Stock Square
Squares of Colorful Paper
Ribbon or Twine
Double Sided Tape
How to Make a Small Gift Box.
1. Start with a square piece of cardboard or card stock. This box was made with cardboard like that on a pack of designer paper.
This 9 inch square piece of cardboard makes a 3 inch square box.
2. Divide the square into thirds both horizontally and vertically, so there are 9 squares.
Cut off all 4 corner squares.
3. Score across the bottom of each side piece, and top and bottom piece.
4. Cut 4 squares of colorful paper that are 1/4 inch smaller than the squares on the box.
My box has squares that are 3 inches, so I cut the colored paper into 2 3/4 inch squares.
5. With double sided tape, attach a colored square to each of the outer squares, making sure that the bottom of the design is closest to the center square.
Center the paper on the cardboard square. Burnish the paper to be sure the tape adheres.
6. Punch a hole in each of the top 2 corners on each outer square.
7. Cut 4 lengths of ribbon or twine about 10 inches long.
8. Fold each side on the score line, to the center and crease sharply.
9. Bring 2 adjacent corners together, thread ribbon or twine through the holes and tie into a bow.
Repeat with the other 3 corners.
10. Cut 1 or 2 pieces of coordinating tissue paper into 10 inches by 12 inches (for the 3 inch square box).
Place the gift or favor in the center of the tissue, gather the sides up around it, and place it in the small gift box.
Adjust the corners and edges of the tissue paper as needed.
For a larger size box, the tissue paper will also need to be larger.
Always start with a square, and divide it into thirds to create this box.
You could use Christmas cards or greeting cards cut to size instead of designer paper.