By Noreen Doll.
A Peek a Boo Turkey is a fun craft to keep little hands occupied while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner to be ready.
You can make it ahead of time and present it when little ones become restless, or have the parts ready for a craft for the older ones.
It would be a good idea to have enough Peek a Boo Turkeys for each small child to prevent quarreling and tears.
I will be using craft foam for this turkey, but felt or card stock can be substituted for it.
Black Craft Foam, Felt, or Card Stock
Brown Craft Foam, Felt or Card Stock
Scraps of Craft Foam, Felt, or Card Stock in Yellow, White and Red
Quick Dry Tacky Glue
White and Gold Duck Tape (Optional)
Paper to Make a Pattern
How to Make a Peek a Boo Turkey.
Make the Hat.
1. Make a paper pattern for the Pilgrim hat and turkey. Cut them out.
Cut the paper hat down the center and place it over the turkey to be sure it will work.
The hat needs to be enough higher and wider that the turkey will be hidden when the hat is closed.
2. Trace the hat pattern onto black craft foam. Cut it out.
Cut the hat down the center.
3. Using white, make the hat band about 3/4 inch wide and long enough to fit across each side near the brim. See the right half of the photo.
I used duct tape, but craft foam could be glued on instead.
4. Use gold or yellow to make the buckle. See the left side of the hat in the above photo.
I made slightly more than half a buckle for each side since one side will be overlapped and partly covered.
5. Punch a hole in the lower inside corner of one side of the hat.
Overlap the second side of the hat the way it will be when finished and mark the spot for the hole through the hole in the first side.
Punch the hole in the second side.
Make the Turkey.
1. Trace the turkey pattern onto brown craft foam.
Cut it out.
2. Use the photo as a guide for making the turkey’s features.
Cut out 2 eyes, a beak, and a wattle.
3. Glue the features on the turkey. Let dry.
4. Punch a small hole in the center of the turkey near the bottom. See photo in #5 above.
Finish the Peek a Boo Turkey.
1. Put a brad through the hole in one side of the Pilgrim hat, then through the other side of the hat, and then through the turkey – so the turkey is on the bottom.
Don’t fasten the brad too tightly as the hat needs to be able to swivel so it can open and close.
2. If you have a gold brad, use a black Sharpie to color the top of the brad so it is less visible.
The turkey is ready to play peek a boo.
I used duct tape for the band and buckle on the Pilgrim hat, but craft foam can be used for a craft foam hat. And felt parts can be used on a felt hat.
If card stock is used for this project, glue an extra piece of card stock on the back where the holes will be punched – to reinforce the holes.