© by Noreen Doll.
This fun paper plate Easter wreath is so easy a toddler can make it with a bit of help from an adult.
The key is to prepare all the materials ahead of time so that your toddler can get busy creating and not have to wait for you to get ready.
Use a large piece of plastic (an old tablecloth or shower curtain – see Kids Craft Tips) or a sheet of waxed paper for a work surface.
What you need:
Ribbon for Bow
Wire or Ribbon for Hanging
What you do:
1. Cut the center out of a paper plate. I used a square multi-colored plate because that was what I had.
2. Cut the tissue paper into 2 inch squares – they don’t have to be perfect. I used about 1 1/2 half sheets of tissue paper for a dessert size paper plate.
3. Let the young crafter crumple each tissue paper square into a ball.
4. Lay a sheet of waxed paper larger than the paper plate in front of your child and lay the paper plate on it.
5. Put some glue on part of the plate and spread it a little – covering the area from edge to edge. An older child could add the glue him/herself.
If you’re working with a really young child, add glue to a smaller area to give him/her time to work. If the glue dries before the tissue is added, just apply more glue.
6. Continue adding glue and then tissue pieces until the entire plate is covered.
7. Allow to dry.
8. Decorate the paper plate Easter wreath with plastic eggs, chicks, bunnies, or ducks.
I used foam stickers ($1 from the Dollar Store) and small plastic eggs ($1.20 with a 40% off coupon from the craft store).
9. With very young children be prepared for an embellishment overload on the Easter wreath. Usually they feel more is way better!
10. Add a bow.
11. Punch a hole in the top center of the plate or in a corner and add a piece of wire or ribbon to hang it.
You now have a paper plate Easter wreath your young crafter will be proud to display!
I used one color of tissue paper so the color wouldn’t be so busy you couldn’t see the embellishments.
Glue – I used Elmers School Glue. If you want it to dry faster, try Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue.