By Noreen Doll.
I love making this origami box! It is very easy to do and can be made with almost any kind of paper or card stock.
The box can be made in any size you want and all you have to do is decide what size your paper needs to be.
It’s also very easy to teach kids how to make it, and once they learn it, they love creating them.
An origami box can be used as a gift box. You can even make them out of wrapping paper. The heavier paper works best for this.
All you need is a square of paper – 2 squares if you want a lid to go with the box bottom.
What You Need
1 or 2 square sheets of paper
Straight Edge or Ruler
What You Do
Decide what size you want your origami box to be and then multiply it by 3.
For instance, if you want a 3 inch square box, you will need a 9 inch square piece of paper.
1. Lay a straight edge on your square sheet of paper from corner to corner diagonally and mark the middle.
Now use the straight edge between the opposite 2 diagonal corners and find the center again. Mark it so you have an X in the very center of the square.
2. Turn the paper so one corner is pointing at you. Fold this point up to the middle of the paper so it points exactly to the center of the X. Crease the fold.
3. Rotate the paper, putting the point of each corner at the center of the X and crease each fold, so the paper looks like this.
4. Now turn the square so one edge is toward you. Fold the edge up until the top of it meets the center of the square. Crease the fold.
Rotate the square and fold each edge up to the middle and crease each fold. So the paper should look like this.
5. Make cuts in the folds on one side. Then make cuts in the two folds on the opposite side as shown in the diagram in red.
Cut only to the first fold line – do not cut the middle.
After you’ve made your cuts, your paper should look like this.
6. Grab the point between the two cut folds and pull it out until it is unfolded.
Then fold the two side squares in until their edges meet.
Fold the point part over the two squares and into the box. Tuck the crease into the edge fold and the point will be in the center.
Repeat on the other side of the box.
7. If needed, use a bit of a glue stick to help hold these two points in place.
8. Repeat the same steps with a second square of paper the same size to make a lid.
You don’t need to cut the lid smaller as you can kind of squeeze up the bottom to fit into the top. And having the top and bottom the same size makes them fit snuggly together.
You can make these origami boxes out of any kind of paper. Look at these fun boxes I made from magazine pages!
And I loved this box that was made from an ad! Isn’t it great?