By Noreen Doll.
A milk jug flower can be used in lots of ways.
You can use it as outside decor, because it’s plastic and will weather well.
It can be used as a decoration on a gift, or an embellishment on a card or craft project. Or just make a bunch and create a colorful bouquet.
it would work well on a child’s head band or barrette.
A milk jug flower is very easy to create, and it’s another perfect craft for kids.
it can be painted or colored with permanent markers, or you can decoupage paper or fabric on it.
Flower Pattern in 2 or 3 sizes
Green Pipe Cleaners or Floral Wire
Round Nose Pliers
How to Make a Milk Jug Flower.
Find some flower patterns you like. They don’t have to all be the same shape, but you do need to have 2 or 3 sizes.
Wash a milk jug and remove the label. Or use milk jug scraps.
1. Use a marker to trace the flower patterns onto the jug. It’s a good way to use up small pieces of milk jugs with the smaller flower patterns.
2. Cut the flowers out, cutting inside the traced lines.
3. Paint or color the flower pieces different colors. Let them dry.
4. Punch a hole in the center of each flower. Use a 1/4 inch punch so the pipe cleaner fits snuggly in the hole.
5. Wrap each flower petal around a pen and curl it.
Curl the petals on the larger flowers under and curl the petals on the smallest flower up.
6. Use a rounded tip of a marker to press firmly down in the center of the flower piece to help give it dimension.
It works better if you have a surface that gives under the flower, such as a mouse pad, carpet, or cutting pad.
7. Using a green pipe cleaner as a stem, thread the largest flower on the stem with the colored side up. Use floral wire if this is to be an outdoor decoration.
Thread a medium sized flower next, and then the smallest flower on top.
Slide the flowers down to the middle of the stem.
8. Using the round nose pliers, curl the top end of the stem into a small circle.
Slide the flowers to the top of the stem and bend the pipe cleaner curl flat against the top flower.
This will hold the milk jug flowers on the stem and serve as the center of the flower.
A button can be used in the center of the flower. Thread the pipe cleaner through a hole from the bottom and then back down through another hole, and then again through the center hole in the flower. Twist the end of the pipe cleaner around the stem just under the flower.
If the flowers don’t want to stay at the top of the stem, you can make another curl in the pipe cleaner just under the bottom flower.
The flower pieces don’t have to be the same shape, and can be more interesting looking if you use different shapes in one flower.
Usually an odd number of flower pieces is more pleasing to the eye, so I used 3 flower pieces on my flower.
I curled the flower petals before I colored them, and I used strong pressure on the curl as the plastic didn’t want to hold the curl very well.
A vase full of milk jug flowers would make a great spring or summer centerpiece.
© Noreen Doll