By Noreen Doll.
Lacy Candy Canes make a lovely, elegant holiday decoration.
They can be made with plastic candy canes as I’ve done here, or you can use real candy canes.
Unfortunately, thought they’re very pretty, you can’t keep real candy canes as they melt and become sticky over time, but the plastic ones can be kept to use again.
Ribbon with Holes for Threading
Candy Canes, Real or Plastic
Hot Glue Gun
Ribbon for Bows or Other Embellishments
How to Make Lacy Candy Canes.
1. Cut ribbon to 24 inches (or 2 feet) long.
2. Fold one end of the ribbon to the back so the first and second holes overlap.
3. Start threading the bottom end of the candy cane through the holes, going through the double holes first.
Then work the cane in and out of the holes to the end of the ribbon.
Fold the end of the ribbon to the back overlapping the last 2 holes, before pushing the candy cane through them.
4. Use a bit of hot glue on the back of the cane at each end to keep the ribbon from sliding off.
5. Attach a bow or other embellishment an inch or 2 down from the top of the lacy candy cane, using hot glue or wire.
I usually feel simple is best, and therefore just use a small bow for a finishing touch. But you can find or make much more ornate embellishments for this.
Tie a piece of fishing line at the top of the finished candy cane to hang.
Or use as a package decoration.