By Noreen Doll.
It’s handy to know how to make a folded pocket for a book, because pockets are really handy for containing loose papers, and books usually come without pockets.
I like to put at least one (usually more than one) in most books I make.
And they are easy to add to a 3 ring binder, too.
Here’s how to make a folded paper pocket for a book.
1 Sheet of paper or card stock for each pocket page. You will see both sides of the paper, so you will want both sides to be colored – unless you want part of the pocket page to be white.
Ruler or Scoreboard
1. Decide on how large your finished page will be. Decide how deep the pocket needs to be.
I used this pocket page as a divider for a book with pages that are 5 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches.
Because I wanted the pockets to be 4 inches deep, my dividers are a little shorter than the pages – which I didn’t mind. I kind of like the look of the shorter divider.
So my finished pocket dividers are actually 5 1/2 inches by 8 inches – a half inch shorter than the pages.
I centered them in my book so that the dividers are 1/4 inch shorter at the top and bottom than the pages are.
You can see the white strip above and below the pocket page that show how it’s shorter than the page behind it.
2. I used 12×12 double sided scrapbooking paper, that is colored on both sides.
3. To make a 4 inch pocket, score and fold all the way across at 4 inches.
4. Turn the paper 90 degrees so the top and bottom of the paper are now the sides.
Score and fold at 6 inches – or down the center, so the paper will fold equally in half.
5. Fold the bottom up and fold the paper in half so the edge folded up makes a pocket on each side of the folded page.
I cut 1/2 inch off the open side edge of the divider so it would be the same width as the pages.
6. The open edge of the pocket page, opposite the long folded edge of the page will be the bound edge. Or the edge that will be punched for a 3 ring binder.
7. If you won’t be using a spiral binding, or binding it in a book, you will need to tape the open pocket edge.
You can make a paper pocket page any size by varying the size of the paper you use. You can make a small page with a small pocket.
If you aren’t sure how it will look, try making a pocket page with a scrap sheet of paper first.