By Noreen Doll.
Tissue paper flower favors can be used for any occasion just by changing the color of the tissue paper you use.
For a graduate use school colors, for Mother’s Day pastels would be pretty, and blue or pink for a baby shower.
For holidays you can use red for Valentines Day, orange and black for Halloween, fall colors for Thanksgiving, and red and green or blue and silver for Christmas.
Silver or gold tissue paper flower favors would be lovely for a wedding or a Golden Wedding celebration.
They are easily made and kids can help, too.
You could lightly pencil where you want kids to cut, and cutting doesn’t need to be perfect as once it’s gathered imperfections won’t show.
Or make a template in the shape of the already folded triangle for a child to draw around. The template can be made from a cereal box.
One sheet of tissue paper will make 4 favors. Unless you are using 2 colors, and then you will get 2 tissue paper flower favors from each sheet.
Tissue Paper in Various Colors
Twine or Narrow Ribbon
How to make Tissue Paper Flower Favors.
1. Fold a sheet of tissue paper in half, and then in half again so it makes 4 layers that are square.
Check with a ruler to be sure it is square. If not, cut off the excess tissue paper on an OPEN edge. Do NOT cut a folded edge.
2. Cut down the folds of the tissue paper to cut the squares apart.
3. Fold a square into a triangle.
Fold again into a smaller triangle.
Fold in half one more time
4. With scissors, cut the open edge into a curve so that both edges of the triangle are about the same length.
5. Cut a decorative edge around the curved edge. You could use fancy edge scissors for this.
Here’s a different edge shape to cut.
6. Cut 1 inch long slits between the curves you’ve made. Or if using edger scissors, cut slits about an inch or so apart.
Cut an inch down the folds, too.
7. Open out the tissue paper and place the candy or favor in the center.
8. Cut ribbon or twine into 12 inch lengths (or longer if you prefer).
9. Gather up the edges and tie a piece of twine or ribbon just above the candy.
10. Pull out the edges of the tissue paper into a ruffled flower.
If you want two color tissue paper flower favors, lay a second cut tissue piece on top of the first one.
Then add your candy or small gift to the center, and gather and tie the two tissue papers together.
The slits you cut don’t have to be exactly 1 inch, and if they aren’t all exactly the same length it won’t be noticeable.
They look like a lovely garden of tissue paper flower favors.
© Noreen Doll