By Noreen Doll.
What could be more fun than having your own pet vampire bat!
Kids can make this clever project as a craft at a party or just for their own creative fun.
It could also be a great favor for kids at a Halloween party.
Stanley is modeling his pet vampire bat bracelet for us.
Black Craft Foam
2 Red Sequins (or punched circles from red aluminum)
Paper for Pattern
Twice as Tacky Glue or Glue for Craft Foam
How to Make a Pet Vampire Bat Bracelet.
1. Turn a sheet of 8 1/2 by 11 paper so the 11 inches is side to side.
Find the center (5 1/2 inches) of the paper and mark it.
2. Using the center mark, draw a rectangle that is 6 1/2 inches wide by 1 1/8 inches high.
3. Cut a piece of paper 4 1/2 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches high.
Fold it in half so it is 2 1/4 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches high.
4. Use the fold for the center of the bat, and draw half a bat that fits pretty fully on the piece of paper.
Cut it out.
5. Draw the finished half bat at each end of the rectangle as shown.
Don’t curve up at midpoint of either end of the bat body or you will end up with a weird shape there. Try to draw the top of the head and bottom of the body straight across.
6. If you want to use this pattern more than once, trace it onto cereal box cardboard or other cardboard to make it sturdy.
7. Draw around the pattern onto black craft foam. I found a pencil showed enough on the black if you use a good light.
Cut it out.
8. Cut the slits where the end of the rectangle was, cutting halfway down from the top on one side,
and halfway up from the bottom on the other side.
When you curve the bracelet and interlock the slits, the slits will be at the center of the bat.
9. While the ends are joined, use the tip of the pencil to mark where you want the eyes.
Put a dot of glue on these marks and add the red sequin eyes. Let dry.
Your pet vampire bat is ready to sit on your wrist.
If you need to make the bracelet longer, you can cut the pattern in half in the center and add however much you need to extend the bracelet size.
Use the 12×18 sheet of black craft foam and cut the bracelet on the long side.