By Noreen Doll.
Paper Plate Pop Up Firecrackers are a fun patriotic craft for kids to make for Memorial Day or 4th of July.
They can be made as decorations or as a 4th of July craft for kids.
Sparkly Pipe Cleaners
Packing Tape (optional)
Red and Blue Markers
How to Make Paper Plate Pop Up Firecrackers.
1. Turn a paper plate right side up.
Mark 3 1/2 inches up from the center bottom and draw a pencil line across.
2. Draw a firecracker in the middle on this line, making it about 1 1/4 inches wide. Draw it all the way to the top of the paper plate.
3. Draw 2 more firecrackers, diagonally out from each side of the first firecracker.
Make them each about 1 1/4 inches wide and reaching to the edge of the plate.
4. Draw an oval for the top of each firecracker.
5. Using colored markers, trace the sides of the firecrackers and around the oval at the top.
Use the pattern photo as a guide.
Color or decorate all the firecrackers.
Cut out around the firecrackers down to the line across the plate.
6. Punch a hole in the center of the top oval.
7. Cut 3 pieces from sparkly pipe cleaners for the top of each firecracker.
Make the shortest piece about 2 inches long, the next about 2 3/4 inches long, and the longest about 3 1/2 inches.
8. Insert 3 pipe cleaner pieces into the hole at the top of each firecracker from front to back.
After the pipe cleaners are arranged, tape them on the back side of the firecracker to hold them in place.
The pipe cleaners look better if they are all different lengths.
9. Bend the firecrackers back toward the bottom side of the plate, the crease being where you drew the line across.
Don’t crease too sharply.
10. Open the plate out and center a piece of packing tape across the fold on the BACK side of the firecrackers.
This helps make the fold sturdier.
Set up the firecrackers with the bottom part of the plate folded to the back.