By Noreen Doll.
I was asked if I could repair a paperback book with a glued binding that had several of the pages falling out.
This is a large (8 1/2 x 11) drawing book that was often left open for referral, and as a consequence many of the pages had become loose.
Because I wanted to cut off as little as possible to preserve the content, I narrowly shaved off the spine with a sharp knife.
In order for the pages to work in a spiral binding, each of them had to be separated from the others.
So I carefully detached each page, making sure to keep them in the proper order as some of them were not numbered.
I needed to use a paper cutter on the glued edge of several of the sheets to clean and straighten the edge. But I removed only the tiniest amount possible.
Several of the pages were printed with photos right up to the binding.
To figure out the best place to add holes, I cut a sheet of paper to the size of the pages and experimented with that until I was satisfied how it would look.
Be sure to punch holes in the correct edge!
I then used clothespins to hold together several pages at a time while I ran them through my Bind It All to create the holes for the spirals.
After all the pages and both covers were punched, I followed the directions with my Bind It All for attaching the spirals.
Now the binding is very sturdy and the book stays open for study.
© Noreen Doll