By Noreen Doll.
Create a beautiful paper hanging 3-D leaf ornament that twists and turns like it’s floating down from a tree branch.
It would make a lovely decoration for a fall or Thanksgiving party, especially if you make several in all the gorgeous fall leaf colors.
If you have pre-made leaves like these, then it is very quick to put this together.
Using a light weight paper, you could also use leaves you’ve cut with a die cutter, or just draw your own and cut them out.
Thread or String
How to Make a Hanging 3-D Leaf Ornament.
1. You need 3 paper leaves. These are about 6 1/2 inches wide and 6 inches high, and I found them at the Dollar Store.
2. Stack the 3 leaves together, matching the edges.
3. Draw a light line marking where the center of the leaf is.
4. Staple down the center of the leaf on this line.
I used 3 staples. I could not put any in the lace part at the top or the stem at the bottom, but it worked fine.
5. Fold the left half of the top leaf toward the right along the stapled line.
Crease on the center line.
6. Turn the leaf over and fold the last leaf toward the back and crease.
7. Fold the middle leaf toward the front. Crease.
8. Separate the leaves on each side of the stapled line to make a nice roundish shape.
9. Put thread or string through the hole at the top (make a hole if there isn’t one there) and tie a knot.
Hang the ornament and watch it twirl and twist. Blow on it for more movement.
Make several hanging 3-D leaf ornaments in many fall colors.
Instead of stapling the leaf down the center, it could be stitched on a sewing machine. Be sure to use a longer stitch length.