By Noreen Doll.
A great gift for a guy is this duct tape business card case. They are sturdy, inexpensive and easy to make.
It’s even a great idea for women, as duct tape now comes in a fantastic array of colors!
I like using a plain color with a multi color for an interesting look.
You can find duct tape in Walmart, Home Depot & Lowes, and even in craft stores. I got mine in Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.
All you need to make a duct tape business card case is a ruler, a pair of scissors, and duct tape.
The first thing you need to learn is to make a duct tape sheet, which is very easy. After you know that, you can make almost anything with duct tape.
What You Need
Duct Tape – preferably in two colors
What You Do
You will need to make a duct tape sheet that is 4 3/8 inches by 5 3/4 inches.
1. Cut or tear a piece of duct tape that is about 5 1/2 inches long. Lay it down sticky side up.
You need the strip to be longer than your finished width because you will be trimming ragged edges off.
2. Cut a second piece of duct tape the same length as the first and lay it sticky side down so it overlaps about half of the first strip.
Fold the rest of the strip facing up over the second strip and smooth it down.
3. Turn the two strips over and attach a third strip sticky side down covering the rest of the sticky part of the second strip and slightly overlapping the non-sticky area.
4. Turn the sheet again and continue applying more strips the same way until your sheet is 5 3/4 inches long.
Because my sheet was too short without an extra strip, and too long with it, I trimmed off a little of the sticky part on the next to the last strip before adding the final strip.
Press the last layer on, overlapping, then fold the sticky side over to the other side for the finished piece.
5. Trim the edges to make the sheet 4 3/8 inches wide.
6. Pocket – Make 2, using a contrasting or coordinating color of duct tape.
I only used 3 strips of tape for each pocket. The finished size of the pocket is 2 inches by 4 3/8 inches.
Make the pocket sheet the same way the earlier sheet was made, tearing strips about 5 1/2 inches long.
Trim to size.
7. Finish the duct tape business card case.
Lay one pocket on the lower half of the case, matching sides and bottom.
Overlap a small amount of the tape on the front and fold the larger part around the back.
With a small piece of duct tape, tape each side of the pocket to the main piece.
Tape the bottom of the pocket to the bottom of the case.
8. Turn the case around and attach the second pocket the same way.
The case is finished and ready to add business cards.
Back side of business card case
Because it has 2 pockets, you can put your own business cards in one side, and cards from others in the second side.
I made the duct tape business card case a little wider so that it can accommodate quite a few cards. It could be made a little narrower.
If you make a mistake with a tape strip, sometimes you can salvage it and use it in a spot where you need a shorter piece of tape.